Stefanos Gkatzogiannis wurde 2020 an der KIT-Fakultät für Bauingenieur-, Geo- und Umweltwissenschaften des Karlsruher Instituts für Technologie (KIT) promoviert. Im Wissenschaftsverlag des KIT ist soeben seine Publikation Finite Element Simulation of Residual Stresses from Welding and High Frequency Hammer Peening (Berichte zum Stahl- und Leichtbau ; 13) erschienen. Im KSP Portrait erfahren Sie Näheres über den Autor und das Werk. Weitere biographische Informationen und Kontaktdaten finden Sie am Ende dieses Beitrags.
1. Your publication (see above) has just been published: How would you summarize the content in three or four sentences?
Research goal of the present monograph is the establishment of an efficient engineering approach, which will include straightforward but accurate simulation models, in order to estimate the residual stress fields of welded joints introduced during welding and their post-weld treatment with High Frequency Hammer Peening. The present subject lies on the intersection of structural engineering, material science and computational mechanics.
2. What was your motivation (to write this book), how did you come to this topic?
The efficiency of High Frequency Hammer Peening has been thorougly investigated and validated experimentally in the past. A validated simulation model of the method could offer siginifcant insight on its advantages and help improve the method and consider its effect during engineering design.
3. How long did it take from the idea to the finished manuscript?
4. Topic “Manuscript”: Do you write on a PC, notebook, tablet or with the pen?
On a PC.
5. Are there specific tools, services or techniques that you find particularly helpful when writing?
6. What gives you the greatest pleasure in writing and what annoys you the most?
Greatest pleasure is to write the manuscript in an style interesting and pleasing for the reader which at the same time promotes my idea. The most annoying thing is the editing of the figures etc. for achieving uniformity for the final draft.
7. How do you relax during the writing process? What do you do to switch off, to relax?
Writing is relaxing itself.
8. If you could wish for it: Which bestseller in the history of science or literature would you have liked to write yourself?
The Name of the Rose.
9. If you could recommend three other recent publications in your field, which three would they be?
Goldak J. A., Akhlaghi M.; Computational Welding Mechanics, 1st Edition, Springer US, New York, 2005.;
Knoedel P., Gkatzogiannis, S., Ummenhofer T.; Practical Aspects of Welding Residual Stress Simulation, Journal of Constructional Steel Research 132, pp. 83-96, 2017.;
Schubnell J.; Experimentelle und numerische Untersuchung des Ermüdungsverhaltens von verfestigten Kerben und Schweißverbindungen nach dem Hochfrequenzhämmern, Dissertation, KIT – Fakultät für Maschinenbau, Karlsruhe, 2021.
10. You have published your book at “KIT Scientific Publishing”, the scientific publishing house of KIT. Why did you choose this publisher?
My host institute, the KIT steel and lightweight publish all of its dissertations in KSP. This is a long tradition.